Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Alden's Room B&A
Evidently, I have the capacity to mentally block undesirable images from my past, because when I pulled the first photo below I was actually surprised to see how sad this room used to look. This picture was taken when I was touring the house before we actually bought it; thus the furnishings are all those of the previous owner. As referenced in an earlier post, the walls and the ceiling in the room were brown. This room faces due north and you can see that there are lots of trees directly outside the window that block the light. Additionally, our second floor does not have high ceilings (they are only 8'). When those already-low-ceilings are painted brown with a northern exposure window that is shaded by a literal forest outside the result is a strongly cave-like sensation. Additionally, I feel compelled to point out the roman shade window treatment -- which I guess in a pitiful sort of way did "match" that really ugly comforter that they had -- is made of purple dupioni silk. For fuck's sake, people. Dupioni silk? Really? But the previous owners LOVED dupioni silk. They had such a strong conviction on that style choice that they opted to put an identical shade (same color purple too) in the master bedroom and one made in teal dupioni silk in Liesl's bedroom. WTF?
That room was enough to give any little girl nightmares and it seemed unfair to inflict it on a 2-year old. So we painted all of the trim white and added wood-panel wainscoting that goes 2/3 of the way up the wall and crown moulding to help brighten the space. Ceiling white. Walls "sweet taffy" pink. Cute teapot chandelier. I know that you will be shocked to see that I ripped out the lovely roman shade. Now Alden has a cute fairy valance that hides black-out honeycomb shades.
I'm not sure how -- given the northern exposure and the forest -- but on a bright day this room is now open and light. I guess that since both photos were taken with a flash it is hard to tell that the new room is brighter, but you will just have to take my word on it. Be gone cave!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment